November 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM
The prospect of purchasing a Motorhome can be an overwhelming one for many first time buyers.
The questions on many people’s minds are:
What are the best models?
What do I look for?
How do I know that I am getting the best deal?
Because these are some of the questions asked by potential customers, listed below are 10 steps to follow, which will help you to make your decision.
1. Make a list of the things you want in your motorhome before you visit any dealers forecourt. It is simple to get caught up in the excitement and forget what it is that you actually require.
2. The likelihood is that you will be on a budget, so separate the essentials from the desirables on your list.
3. Hiring a motorhome is always an option to see if that is really what you want. Ask your local dealer if you can 'try before you buy' even if it's just for the weekend. This will more than likely assist you in drawing up your wish list. If possible it is advised to test various models on both country roads and motorways.
4. It is advised to always purchase your new motorhome locally. You may find that you can get a good deal from a dealer on the other side of the country; however, this is not the best option if something goes wrong and you have to return it.
5. Thoroughly inspect any second-hand motorhome for accident repairs and leaks etc. It it always a good idea to take a qualified mechanic with you for them to give the motorhome the once over.
6. Attending motorhome shows is a good way to assist you in identifying the model you require. Take pictures of the ones you like, which will help you to find what you're looking for.
7. Ask experienced motorhome owners for their opinions and advice about local events and shows, and search the internet for as much information as you can find.
8. When you have located the perfect motorhome, ensure that it is exactly what you are looking for. Spend time setting up things inside it, such as beds and tables. This will help you to decide if it has enough space for your requirements.
9. Ask the seller to demonstrate everything to you, so that you know that everything works correctly. Ensure that accessories such as awnings, water bottles and hook-up leads all work correctly.
10. The most important thing is to ensure that you obtain the correct insurance and that it covers every situation that could be faced in your motorhome.